In order to join this Lodge you need to meet the following criteria:
- Have a belief in a Supreme Being
- Be male and over 21 years old
- Consideration is given in exceptional circumstances if you are under 21 – so long as you are over 18.
- Have a close association with the School
- Be able to make the declaration required of all candidates without qualification
- Be able to attend the regular meetings of the lodge
If you think you meet this criteria and are interested in joining, please contact the Lodge Secretary – Chris Nicholls – in the first instance and he will be happy to discuss this with you.
The next steps will most likely involve meeting some of the members of the lodge to get to know them and to give you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have, and then when ready, you will be interviewed by the Lodge Committee. After this, the committee will make a recommendation to the other members of the Lodge and you will be balloted for at a regular meeting of the Lodge. If the ballot proves in your favour, a date will be arranged for you to be initiated.
The following is a copy of the declaration required of all candidates applying to be Initiated into a Lodge under the United Grand Lodge of England.
- My application is entirely voluntary.
- I understand that my duties as a Freemason would include an overriding duty to obey the laws of any country to which I may be subject.
- I do not expect, anticipate or seek any preferment or financial benefit as a consequence of my being a member of the Craft.
- I understand that I may freely declare my membership of the Order on any occasion when I can be seen not thereby to be pursuing any business, professional or personal advantage.
- I have never been convicted by a Court of any offence
- I have never been the subject of a finding of dishonest or disgraceful conduct
- I have never been disciplined by any professional, trade or other tribunal
- I am not awaiting the outcome of proceedings against me before a criminal court or a professional, trade or other tribunal
- I am not, to the best of my knowledge, the subject of any criminal, professional, trade or other investigation.
- ‡ I am not and have not been in any way connected with any organisation which is quasi-Masonic, imitative of Masonry, or regarded by the Grand Lodge as irregular or as incompatible with the Craft.
- I undertake that if any paragraph in this declaration should become untrue or misleading at any time before I am made a Mason, I will inform my proposer and seconder without delay, and agree that by presenting myself at the meeting at which I am to be made a Mason I shall represent that this declaration remains true.
IF THE CANDIDATE CANNOT MAKE THIS DECLARATION WITHOUT QUALIFICATION, OR IS IN ANY DOUBT AS TO THE SCOPE OF THIS PARAGRAPH HE MUST CONSULT HIS PROPOSER AND SECONDER BEFORE SIGNING THIS FORM OR OTHERWISE CONTINUING WITH HIS APPLICATION. PARAGRAPH 5 MUST BE AMENDED BY DELETING ANY SUB-PARAGRAPH TO WHICH THE CANDIDATE CANNOT SUBSCRIBE. FULL DETAILS OF ANY CONVICTIONS OR ANY SUCH PROCEEDINGS MUST BE DISCLOSED TO HIS PROPOSER, SECONDER AND SECRETARY OF THE LODGE. THE CERTIFICATE OF THE GRAND SECRETARY CONFIRMING THAT THE MATTERS DISCLOSED DO NOT CONSTITUTE A BAR TO INITIATION MUST THEN BE OBTAINED BEFORE THE CANDIDATE MAY BE PROPOSED IN OPEN LODGE. IF AT ANY TIME BEFORE INITIATION THIS DECLARATION BECOMES UNTRUE OR MISLEADING, A FURTHER CERTIFICATE MUST BE OBTAINED. ‡
MEMBERSHIP OF A RECOGNISED REGISTERED FRIENDLY SOCIETY DOES NOT COME WITHIN THIS CATEGORY.